A few days ago I was in a baking mood and woke up around 6:30 am to bake. At first I was deciding between brownies and some sort of bars (since I only have a rectangular pan accessible for now). It happened that I bought some lemons the day before so I decided to go fruity and make Lemon Bars. Also, kudos to the digital oven at the place I’m subletting. It worked like charm ^^
So for Ingredients:
A- Shortbread Crust:
– 1 stick (113 grams) unsalted butter or you can use salted butter and omit the salt
– 30 grams white sugar (granulated or powdered, I was mixing by HAND so powdered sugar helped a bit)
– 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
B- Lemon Layer: (this is for medium/thin lemon layer – I don’t like it thick, but if you want something thicker, do some math and get 1.5 times of things down here)
– 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (this varies with your lemons but I got 1/3 cups with 1 and a half lemons and the sour taste was slightly stronger than I intended)
– 1/2 tablespoon zest
– 2 tablespoon flour
– 1-2 tablespoon powdered sugar for icing
– Baking pan, 10 in * 10 in (or equivalent)
– Wire whisk
– Mixing bowl(s)
– Measuring spoons & cups (I used to not care about measuring spoons and cups but they can be a cheap but useful investment. I got the Mainstay plastic 8-piece from Walmart for about 3 bucks, a lot of people seem to complain about their handles breaking off in their reviews but mine seems perfectly fine. Well, of course if you got the budget, go with metal ones.)
– Get the butter out of the fridge and leave it at room temperature for 8-10 mins.
– Beat the butter with sugar until smooth and creamy, then beat in flour and salt until they come together (don’t worry if it is slightly crumbly, as long as you don’t see any flour left it is good to go).
– Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees F).
– Grease the pan with vegetable oil or butter and press the dough into the pan to make an uniform layer.
– Bake the dough for 18 mins or until the edges start looking lightly brown. You don’t want to overdo it 😉
– Prepare the lemon layer while you wait for the dough. Just take your time though since your dough needs to cool down after it comes out of the oven anyway.
– With the wire whisk, beat the eggs till smooth then beat in sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. “Fold” in the flour (this basically means you gradually add the flour in without haphazardly stirring the mixture and lose air).
– After the dough comes out and cools down, pour the lemon mixture in and bake for another 17 minutes.
– Finally, cut your bakery into 16 pieces and dust with powdered sugar (I didn’t have a sieve so I kinda sprinkle the sugar onto it teehee).
Enjoy the Lemon Bars with milk or favorite beverage of your choice (just not Lemonade methinks)!
p/s: the color of the pictures is slightly off I know but I made my efforts without a decent window in the kitchen (I live in a basement haha) so sympathize puhleez